Re: Possible MBF wrt common, FHS-compliant, default document root for the various web servers

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 03:23:22PM +0100, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> Full ack, and I even like /usr/share/www. It's easy to understand and
> pretty unprobable that we'd have a package called www in the archive
> some day needing this location.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this approach. We would easily end up
with items in /usr/share/www/bugzilla and also in /usr/share/bugzilla,
how would you handle .inc files, for example?

> > - Regarding the URL that would be mapped to that dir, I don't
> >   particularly like /debian/ (even though I've advanced it). However the
> >   alternative solutions I can come up with (e.g. /packages/) are
> >   actually uglier. So I guess /debian/ can stay. Some of the -webapps
> >   people can probably come up with wiser suggestions ...
>
> Manoj suggested '/vendor-apps' and I like that. It says what it should
> say and doesn't steal any probable path.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see what this is trying to solve.

>From 5.1.1 of the webapps policy:
 Web applications should be completely agnostic of the global document
 root.

Both the above two points also cause issues with vhosting. How would you
register bugzilla with domain foo.bar, but not wibble.baz?

Many of these issues were discussed back in 2005 on the debian-webapps
list, leading to the webapps policy paper. It's a good read, please make
sure that you're aware of it :)

Neil
--
<blarson> I use three different operating systems: Sarge, Etch, and Sid.