Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

This one time, at band camp, Holger Levsen said:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Montag, 2. November 2009, Tom Feiner wrote:
> > Is /var/cache really such a bad option? I mean, the entire web content
> > is re-generated from templates & graphs are re-generated from the rrd
> > databases every 5 minutes. So even if someone did delete the directory,
> > it'll just be recreated up to 5 minutes later.
>
> It might be bad if the directory is gone and the webserver refuses to start
> because of a non-existing DocumentRoot...

Apache will explode if the log directory doesn't exist, but it usually
just returns internal server error if the docroot is missing.  Maybe
some of the other web servers we ship aren't quite as tolerant, but I
have less experience with them.  And frankly, that's a "don't do that,
then" moment, really.  It is perfectly safe (if foolish) to delete the
_contents_ of /var/cache/munin, and I don't recall the FHS saying that
it expected applications to cope gracefully with the directory structure
being yanked out from under them by addled admins.

Cheers,