Re: /lib32 -> emul/ia32-linux/lib ?

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:11:42 +0100
Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> >> /lib64 -> /lib
> >
> > That should be:
> > /lib64 -> lib
>
> On my system (amd64), this is currently /lib64 -> /lib
> Which package manages this symlink ?

libc6

> > Having a link to /lib causes problems with debootstrap, cdebootstrap
> > and others. See #553599

See also the other bugs from which 553599 was cloned.

#514015 and #514016 - both RC.

"Packages with absolute symlinks to dirs like libc6 on amd64, ppc64 and
s390x can lead to overwrites of files outside of the new root."

Any process that uses tar against /PATH/TO/CHROOT/lib64 will end up
putting files into /lib:

"If one package (lib6) contains the symlink /lib64 -> /lib, another
package (in this case libattr1) which includes files in /lib64, will
be extracted into the host system and overwrite files there, as tar
follows the symlinks."

Neil Williams
http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/