Re: Build logs from local builds

Le Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:07:19PM +0000, Roger Leigh a écrit :

> While most developers are conscientious enough to make sure their
> packages build, one does see enough crap packages that IMO this
> (minimal) bar should probably be kept.

Hi all,

Why don’t we remove the key of the developers uploading “crap packages” from
the Debian keyring? This would also solve the problem, and simplify the life of
the developers who don’t upload crap packages. Basically the justification of
all this extra infrastructure is is to allow working with people we do not
trust. Do we really get a visible benefit from this?

I am all for allowing source-only uploads AND requiring from the maintainers a
proper testing of the packages. Having been able to build the package in a
clean chroot is anyway not a reliable proof of testing.

To have a maximal transparence with our users and archive administrators, we
could for instance document in plain text in a file like README.Debian how we
test the packages. It would also be particularly useful in case of NMUs and for
team-maintained packages, as well as for our users to diagnose their installed
packages. That, together with thaking action if there are developpers who are
obviously careless, would be far more efficient than our current procedure.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan