Re: Packages relying on HOME when building

On Sun, Oct 25 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On So, 25 Okt 2009, Guillem Jover wrote:
>> There's some packages which rely on HOME existing and often being
>> writtable. This is broken behaviour as the package does not have any
>> businesss verifying if it exists or writting outside of its build dir
>> (or /tmp).
>
> I disagree. Some upstream build mechanism simply want to do some
> checks. Do we w to force each maintainer to make sure this doesn't
> happen and patch it away?

        Since these checks seem wrong headed, yes, I would expect a
 debian developer to patch it away. This sounds like what one does to
 make weird upstream build systems sane.

> I would suggest on the contrary that HOME *will* be set by all scripts
> to a newly created empty directory.

        Umm, no. This is the wrong thing to do; as members of the free
 software community, we should also cater to our users building our
 software on their machines, and not make them jump through these hoops.

        manoj
--
After the last of 16 mounting screws has been removed from an access
cover, it will be discovered that the wrong access cover has been