Re: defaulting to net.ipv6.bindv6only=1 for squeeze

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 10:00:01PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> And bindv6only=0 is also not RFC compliant. However, a *lot* of applications
>> that use listening sockets will not work correctly anymore when you change the
>> default. So it probably is better to make it a release goal that applications

> Can you make a list? I do not think there is a significant number, I
> only know about vmware.

I run this configuration on most of my systems and don't have many
problems. There was some problem with apache, but it's now fixed. Also
java is broken and my bug report got ignored by sun, but it should be
easy patchable (preloading socket() and calling setsockopt(IPV6_V6ONLY)
works for me).

There were also some problems with dovecot listening on either 0.0.0.0,
or [::], but I don't remember details nor know they current state.
I don't remember any problems with vmware, but I don't use it now. Maybe
I was connecting to it only with IPv6.

I'm not sure if I wasn't forced to modify default configuration for
some daemons.

Jarek.