Re: perl and perl-modules; reflexive dependencies vs. archive bloat

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 23 octobre 2009 à 14:25 -0700, Don Armstrong a écrit :
> > 3: Specifically, where Package A Depends on (B=1), and Package B
> > Depends on A; A and B are from the same source, B is architecture
> > independent, and does not require configuration.
>
> In the general case, B doesn’t need to depend on A. So this is not a
> problem for that many packages.

Generally speaking, A tends to be necessary for B "to provide a
significant amount of functionality".

However, I agree that in almost all cases (including this case) it
seems silly for any other package to depend on B or for users to
install B directly. I actually suggested that perl-modules recommend
perl, but that was rejected for the reason that perl-modules doesn't
do anything useful without perl.

Don Armstrong

--
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it.