[Ampache updated] packages that use deprecated SQL escape functions

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 13:26 +1100, Steffen Joeris wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> We had a few issues in the past with insufficient database escaping, which lead
> to possible SQL injections due to the use of the deprecated functions
> mysql_escape_string() and PQescapeString().
> These functions do not take the encoding of the established connection into
> account, which can lead to insufficient escaping, if the encoding of this
> connection can be set to certain multibyte character encodings (such as GBK).
> I found the explanation given in this email[0] quite useful to elaborate on
> the thread.
>
> In order to prevent this issue, the new functions mysql_real_escape_string()
> [1] and PQescapeStringConn()[2] have been added, which honour the specific
> encoding of the connection.

[snip]

> ampache: Charlie Smotherman <cjsmo@cableone.net>
>  ./ampache-3.5.1/modules/getid3/extension.cache.mysql.php:            $filenam2
> = mysql_escape_string($filename);
>  ./ampache-3.5.1/modules/getid3/extension.cache.mysql.php:            $res2 =
> mysql_escape_string(serialize($result));

Steffen,

Thanks for the mail.  I have patched ampache to use
mysql_real_escape_string().  I would appreciate it if someone would
sponsor this fix.

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/ampache/ampache_3.5.1-2.dsc

Thank you
Charlie Smotherman