Re: btrfs

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Martin Ågren <martin.agren@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe one of us misread Russell. :) I thought he meant "While I
> understand that you'll be crapped on if a kernel upload eats data, I
> think it would be ok to ...". As I read it, he's not expecting them to
> do anything *more* than they already do, just to relax the protection
> argument a little when it comes to people who are already aiming at
> their feet.

Yes.  Also anyone who really wants their data to be safe won't use Unstable

BTRFS is a little different to most kernel features, it is significant (both
in terms of potential benefits and changes), it has a high profile, and it
needs a lot of testing.

I would not consider asking the kernel team to do anything special for a
random device driver or anything else of similar scope.

But it has been pointed out a few times (including a couple of private
messages) that experimental has what I desire (thanks for the advice
everyone).  Now I've discovered that firmware-linux-nonfree doesn't seem to
be available so I can't use my e100 Ethernet ports (which are essential for
the test machine in question).

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Alexey Salmin <alexey.salmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's reasonable for package maintainers to check compatibility
> with the kernel from the
> distribution they upload package to. Especialy here when package is
> newer then kernel driver.
> It's of course harder to supervise the situation when kernel pass
> ahead of user-space packages
> but it's also possible.

In general I agree that user-space tools should not be uploaded until there is
a kernel that can work with them.  The fact that I made a filesystem with
mkfs.btrfs and can't mount it is obviously not ideal.  Of course with this
type of change if the upload of the btrfs-tools had been delayed so that the
kernel got in first then we would STILL have had the same situation (I
believe that there was neither forward nor backward compatibility).

http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog
http://doc.coker.com.au/           My Documents Blog