Re: Faster boot by running init.d scripts in parallel

[Manoj Srivastava]
>  ok. Late, but better than never:
>  http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/

Thank you.  Very interesting to see. :)

> bootchart-unopt.png       =========  Data from before I started working
>                                      on optimizing boot times

Duration 2 minutes 13 seconds, and as far as I can see using the
legacy boot ordering and sequencial boot.

> bootchart_concurrency.*   ========= With CONCURRENCY=Makefile

Duration 1 minute 7 seconds, and using concurrent booting and the new
dependency based boot ordering.  Unable to see the start of the
slowest component from the original boot, the opennms, and that is
rather strange.  Was opennms started as it should, or is there some
dependency bug in its init.d script?

> bootchart.*               ========= Normal, serial boot.

Duration also 1 minute 7 seconds, and as far as I can see this is
using concurrent booting (init.d/rc is starting startpar) too.  Seem
to be identical to the other boot.  Why did you believe this was using
serial boot?  The content of /etc/default/rcS must have had some
CONCURRENCY setting, or there must be a but in sysv-rc. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen