Re: Policy §10.4 as a divergence from usptream (renamings to remove extensions like .pl and .sh).

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 13:36 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I know that there has already been much of talk about this, but I am am getting
> more and more uncomfortable removing .pl or .sh extensions from programs when
> upstream does not.

At least in cases where the programs/scripts could be considered part of
a programming interface, this requirement is approximately equivalent to
requiring the exported symbols of libraries to conform to some spelling
scheme.  While Debian has occasionally altered or broken the exported
interfaces of libraries in cases of severe trouble, this is not
routinely done, and usually not merely in the name of prettiness.