Re: Fields used in packages

> George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> writes:
>
> > So, the question being: from where to start documenting and sorting
> > these out:  policy, dpkg/doc/, devref, wiki, blogs ;-), somewhere else.
>
> Standardized fields should be documented in Policy.  Patches and
> contributions are definitely welcome.  (And personally, I think this
> should include Vcs-*.)

Okay, that sounds reasonable, provided all non-user-defined fields are standard,
or otherwise illegal. Another standard field (i.e. non-X[BSC] ) I found is
`Bugs'; seems they are hinting someone or something like BTS or LP, though I'm
not exactly sure if it is good candidate for reuse [1]. I also sorted packages
on per field basis [2] (most interesting fields, not all).

I'd also like to collect some data and feedback first, then we can file bugs and
hopefully create patches. For instance, where to document the user-defined
fields: devref, wiki, not-documented anywhere, since they are not meant to be
reused or it is quite unlikely.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~danchev/survey/sorted/Bugs
[2] http://people.debian.org/~danchev/survey/_index.html
(should be self-explanatory)

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>