Re: apt-get not working anymore

Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Sa den  5. Sep 2009 um 20:06 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
>> % rmadison apt
>>        apt | 0.6.46.4-0.1 |     etch-m68k | source, m68k
>>        apt | 0.6.46.4-0.1 |     oldstable | source, alpha, amd64, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc
>>        apt | 0.6.46.4-0.1+etch1 | oldstable-proposed-updates | source, alpha, amd64, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc
>>        apt | 0.7.20.2+lenny1 |        stable | source, alpha, amd64, arm, armel, hppa, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc
>>        apt | 0.7.20.2+squeeze1 | testing-proposed-updates | source, alpha, amd64, armel, hppa, i386, ia64, mips, powerpc, s390, sparc
>>        apt |   0.7.22.2 |       testing | source, alpha, amd64, hppa, i386, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc
>>        apt | 0.7.22.2+b2 |       testing | armel, ia64
>>        apt |   0.7.23.1 |      unstable | source, alpha, amd64, armel, hppa, hurd-i386, i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc
>>

>> Reduce your sources.list, possibly to just unstable main, apt-get update,
>> apt-get install apt, revert sources.list, enjoy.
>
> Uh, sorry to not making that clear enough. _I_ know how to (temporarily)
> fix that. But the problem is that the stable version has a hard limit
> which is not that far away from real setups. And I want not to hear the
> crying if every user add a bug report cause he is not able to fix it
> themself.

The problem does not appear in stable systems. Only when you pile on
repository after repository. Especialy if you pile on old-stable,
stable, testing and unstable all together.

> And a simple upgrade to the unstable version is no solution as there is
> several dependencies which are incompatible between stable and unstable.
> (On my system this was only libapt-pkg-perl which makes several packages
> to get purged when installing the unstable version.)
>
> Am Sa den  5. Sep 2009 um 20:18 schrieb Hans-J. Ullrich:
>> APT::Cache-Limit "100000000";
>
> Doesn't help as the limit is hard coded in apt. Just look at the source.
> The problem was fixed in versions after stable.

No surprise there. The problem is not the amount of memory used but
the number of packages. The old apt can only handle 65536 packages and
stable has somewhat above 20000. So one release is fine. Two releases
just work. 3 release can make it give the above error.

> Regards
>    Klaus

MfG
        Goswin