Re: RFC: update-inetd migration to dpkp-triggers

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 09:40:51PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> It's not just about supporting xinetd, as I hope the initial post
> made clear.  It's using the xinetd syntax certainly (why reinvent
> the wheel when you can reuse the format as the superset used by all
> existing inetds?), but the primary benefits are making inetd support
> in maintainer scripts both robust and idempotent.

update-inetd in its present form can already be used to achieve this.

Unfortunately, the runes to accomplish it are rather underdocumented; but
I think the right way to address that is with better documentation.

(Once upon a time, I started drafting a blog entry shortly after I worked
through how to fit update-inetd into the maintainer script state machine;
unfortunately I didn't finish that draft before the details fled my short
term memory, and I don't even remember which package I was looking at. :( )

> The current update-inetd implementation is flaky junk which is used both
> incorrectly and inconsistently, and can cause loss of system
> customisation by the sysadmin as a result.

I don't believe that the proposed replacement is immune to the possibility
of misuse.

> > > * document that local policy will live in /etc/inetd.conf.d/ and any manual
> > >   changes will be made effective by running update-inetd
> > I also consider not acceptable that manual configuration changes are
> > ignored unless some program is run.

> There are many obvious examples of update-foo scripts which behave in
> this manner.  The requirement to run a script to update the working
> configuration is nothing new in Debian.

The only obvious example I have of an update-* script that a user has to run
to effect changes to their config is update-grub.

And update-grub has been an unqualified disaster.

(Some of the reasons for which don't apply in this case, I'll grant you -
but I certainly wouldn't agree that there are good precedents for this in
Debian.)