Re: For the grub maintainers II

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 11:03:10PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 05 September 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > It has never been intended to be used as part of an update-grub script
> > and to be run every time the bootloader configuration is updated
> > because a new/updated kernel was installed or one of the packages that
> > affect an initrd (udev, mdcfg, lvm, ...) are updated.
>
> Basically: you do not want to have some script load every available file
> system kernel module available on the system at random moments,

We could, and should, address this in os-prober by making use of smart
file system detection if available (e.g. blkid). This would make it much
faster in d-i, too.

> nor do you want to have that script regularly scan all partitions on
> your system, including any removable storage medium.

Again, this is an implementation detail. I don't know offhand what the
right default is, and it could do with discussion, but it'd be entirely
feasible to make os-prober optionally skip removable devices.

Other similar issues in os-prober really are just bugs in os-prober. I
don't think they're fundamental design issues with something outside the
installer using os-prober.