Re: RFC: Moving gpg to /bin?

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 04:06:53PM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:

> > I'm thinking about moving gpg to /bin to solve bugs #386980 and #477671.

That may be a workaround, but IMHO this is really a bug/limitation in
the way the current init scripts are set up.

There is already the "_netdev" flag in fstab to defer mounting some
filesystems after the network has been initialized. There could be a
similar "_cryptdev" tag for encrypted devices. Then the boot process
would look like:

- do the equivalent of "mount -a -O no_netdev,no_cryptdev". /usr
  should be mounted by this step, since it should not contain sensitive
  information, therefore it should not be encrypted, or at least not
  using gpg.
- configure the network
- "mount -a -O _netdev,no_cryptdev"
- unlock encrypted devices (incl. encrypted iSCSI/AoE/etc. devices)
- "mount -a -O _netdev,_cryptdev"

Now the question is when/how to run fsck, but it is already a problem if
you want to have a file system on an LVM device where one of the PVs is
an AoE device, as I've found out the other day...

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences