Re: Compiling libbam.a from libbam-dev with -fPIC?

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 01 septembre 2009 à 09:49 +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
>> I started to write a message about to ask upstream why they do not make a
>> shared version of libbam, but I am blocked because I could not give good reason
>> of why Debian can not make -fPIC version of libbam.
>
> You can build a libbam_pic.a and that is really not a problem. However
> it would be much better, for security support among other things, to
> build a shared library instead.

For upstream information, the problem with static (with ou without -fPIC)
libraries is that, if a security (or other) bug is found, you need to
recompile *all* the packages that use this library instead of just the
shared library. This is why distributors like Debian prefer dynamic
libraries instead of static ones (unless there are other very strong
arguments).

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87