Compiling libbam.a from libbam-dev with -fPIC?

Dear all,

as per Policy § 10.2, I would like to know if everybody agrees if I change the
libbam-dev package to compile libbam.a with -fPIC.  Without this it is not
possible to compile on amd64 the Bio::SamTools Perl library which I am
packaging (http://bugs.debian.org/543488). This is documented in the Perl
library’s README and I confirmed it on my amd64 computer.
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/LDS/Bio-SamTools-1.03/README

Note that samtools/libbam-dev was just accepted this night so it may not yet be
in your favorite mirrors. but you can find the source package in the Debian Med
Subversion repository:
svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/samtools/trunk/

If I understood well, only libbam.a and not the other compiled programs should
get -fPIC. I would be happy if somebody could indicate me an example of a
package that handle this well. (In private if it is too trivial ; let's all
cooperate to reduce the traffic on this list).

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,