Re: Where should DLL files go?

Am Mittwoch 26 August 2009 19:06:22 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 09:48:56PM +0100, Sam Morris wrote:
> > Although on Debian, the same shared library files (libfoo.so) are used
> > by both compilers to link against, and ld-linux (what is that thing
> > called? The "loader"? The "linker"?) to satisfy runtime dependencies,
>
> Mm, not exactly.  At build time you use libfoo.so; at runtime you use
> libfoo.so.VER.  It just happens that the ELF version of "stubs" is trivial
> (a symlink).

SONAME or,  if no SONAME, libfoo.so. The SONAME may be something totally
different than libfoo.so.VER
But you know that ;)

> > From a multiarch point of view, perhaps the DLL could go
> > in /usr/lib/i586-mingw32msvc?
>
> Cf. bug #542865 - in the future we might actually have a "mingw32"
> mini-architecture, at which point these files would cause a package
> conflict.  Maybe use /usr/i586-mingw32msvc/lib for now (the cross-build
> directory)?

Actually, the .lib files go to ${PREFIX}/lib and the .dll files go to
${PREFIX}/bin (together with binaries that need them). Having PREFIX as
/usr/i586-mingw32msvc is probably fine, though the 'msvc' is misplaced: gcc is
used not the MicroSoft Visual Compiler (usually abbreviated with msvc).

HS