Python 2.6? A Python transition?

Hello folks,

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a known issue, but I haven't seen
anything to debian-devel-announce and I'm not very plugged in to Python
handling in Debian, so I thought I'd just explicitly ask (and suggest that
if there's a known resolution someone mail it to debian-devel-announce).

I have a few packages that build either Python modules or that embed
Python.  I see that for the one that builds Python modules (remctl),
Ubuntu has patched it for a Python 2.6 transition using new makefile
machinery that I don't entirely understand but which seems reasonably
straightforward.  However, I don't know if Debian is doing the same thing
and if just applying that patch would be useful.  For the package that
embeds Python (gnubg), I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

Is there a best practice guide somewhere, and if we are doing a
transition, a guide for those of us who only have ancillary involvement in
Python packaging telling us what to do?