Re: Release goal: Getting rid of unneeded *.la / emptying dependency_libs

* Andreas Barth (aba@not.so.argh.org) [090824 22:25]:
> So I'd recommend maintainers of packages with:
>
> 1. "no flag" to remove the la-file on next occasion
>
> 2. only "dependency_libs" to remove their la-file RSN, because they
>    block removal of the la-files on another package (this flag can be
>    wrongly hit if a package depends only on itself - but well,
>    dropping the la-file is recommended as well here as with 1.)
>
> 3. only "depended-on" to do nothing at this time
>
> 4. with both "dependency_libs depended-on" to use
>    sed -i "s,^dependency_libs=.*,dependency_libs='',"
>    on all their la-files (I took care that self-dependencies don't
>    appear in this category, but rather in 1 or 2).

Updated the list and put it on http://alius.ayous.org/~aba/la-view.txt
and updated in () the packages that depend on the current package.

Also I was asked how I go the "dependend-on" information. I got it by
actually looking into the la-files (and of course there are also great
dependencies like on
/build/buildd-speech-dispatcher_0.6.7-4-i386-1NmUM9/speech-dispatcher-0.6.7/debian/speech-dispatcher/usr/lib/libspeechd.la
but well ...), so the information is mostly accurate (the bad thing on
*.la files is that we don't know which ones will really make us
trouble, until it is too late).

Cheers,
Andi