Re: Taking care of exising packages

Excerpts from gregor herrmann's message of Thu Aug 20 02:25:09 -0700 2009:
> There's a central place for teams in Debian:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams

That's an excellent resource, yes.

> The interesting question is how to encourage people to join teams;
> some thoughts from DebConf can be found here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2009/07/msg00083.html
> (especially point 3)

One thought captured in those notes is to mention things on
debian.org/devel/join. I was surprised to find no mention of teams at
all there, so I just submitted a patch to add the following paragraph
(the HTML equivalent rather):

    Finally, Debian provides many teams[1] of developers working
    together on common tasks. Anybody can participate on a team,
    whether an official Debian Developer or not. Working together with
    a team is an excellent way to gain experience before starting the
    New Maintainer Process[2] and is one of the best places to find
    package sponsors. So find a team that suits your interests and
    jump right in.

    [1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams
    [2] http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

-Carl