Re: What’s the use for Standards-Version?

On Thu, Aug 13 2009, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Le Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:31:53PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
>>         Hmm. As my memory serves me, the statement was:

>>         Unconditional bump, I parsed, as merely bumping the version,
>>  without regards to actual status (since otherwise it would have been
>>  conditional on checking and making any relevant changes as required)
>
> I am really, really, really tired to see long threads that start
> because one interpretes the words of another on a worst-case basis and
> gets offended by his own catastrophe scenario.

        Based on what he said next, it is not a worst case scenario, and
 it s certainly not something that offended me. I think you are,
 therefor, starting with an incorrect premise.

> It has been repeatedly said that the Policy is changed when most of
> the packages already conform to it. I prefer to interpret the above

        And, that is, as usual, in correct. The quote has often been
 ascribed to me in the ast, and is not true.  Policy does not do design,
 usually, and that is true, as far as it goes. But what policy does is
 try to document the correct thing to do, or select one option where
 multiple choices are technically viable, and one must be chosen for
 integration purposes.

        By no means wdoes policy enshrine suboptimal behaviour, even if
 it is widely followed.

> citation differently: that Josselin is proactively making his packages
> up to date, and that when a new Policy is published there is nothing
> to change in the package.

        Then you are reading selectively.

> If you had any doubt, you could have asked him in private, or in
> public if you had enough confidence that it would not have added noise
> with a conversation like ‘Are you sure you do your work correctly?
> Yes, I am sure, thank you’.

        I had no doubt, no. And I do not talk to that maintainer,
 really, based on my reaction to his behaviour in places like the
 planet.

> This would have saved us your digressions about lies and expulsions. Please
> consider that this list is high traffic and try to limit your messages in
> quantity.

        Goodness me. In telling me what to do, are you quite sure you
 are not having delusions of grandeur?  and should you not have been
 following your own advice, and sending this via private mail?

        Or you want people to do what you say, and not what you do?

        Anyway, meet my kill file. *PLONK*

        manoj
--
Help fight continental drift.