Re: What’s the use for Standards-Version?

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu27@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd be in favour of making it optional or deprecating it if we (as in
> the project) were good in adding checks to lintian for changes in the
> policy or reporting bugs where it's not possible (or in addition to the
> checks).

I already attempt to add checks to Lintian for everything that goes into
each new release of Policy.  Unfortunately, there are severe limitations
in what's possible in an automated checking tool.  There are a *lot* of
changes to Policy that are just infeasible for Lintian to check, at least
without considerable development work in hard and difficult areas, such as
parsing and understanding arbitrary shell code.