Re: Non-unified patches and dpkg source format ‘3.0 (quilt)’.

Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@madism.org> writes:

> First of all, non-unified diffs are called "context diffs"

Not necessarily. I've been using the term to reply to *any* diff output
format that isn't unified-diff format. From my perspective, there is the
de facto standard of unified-diff format, used by the vast majority for
patch data interchange; and there is the vanishing minority of any other
patch format, which should be deprecated.

> I concur with Charles that it's a dpkg-dev bug, I don't think his
> patch is valid though. I'm unsure if it needed all that trolling, and
> that a minor bug on dpkg-dev asking for non-unified diffs support is
> in order.

Rather, for specifically “context diff” format. +1 to that suggestion;
I'm fine with tools accepting it, but it should be strongly deprecated
(by social, not technical, means).

--
 \        “The industrial system is profoundly dependent on commercial |
  `\   television and could not exist in its present form without it.” |