Re: Spam on the lists [Was: Re: Account Upgrade (Unex)]

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 08:48 +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 01:39, brian m.
> carlson<sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 02:24:28AM +0300, Eugene Gorodinsky wrote:
> >> Is there any way to actually make it harder to spam the list? I just
> >> subscribed and already see spam and phishing attacks...
> >
> > Yes.  There are infinitely many ways to make it harder to spam the list,
> > among them:
> >
> > * Allowing posting only by subscribers.
> > * Requiring a signed agreement and a surety bond before allowing posting
> >  to the list.
> > * Only allowing people to post to the list if they have an armed guard
> >  standing beside them who shoots spammers on sight.
> > * Not allowing posting to the list.
>
> I here we miss the important one (the only method we have available):
>
> * report a message as spam, so that we can let us filters learn from
> it and subsequently remove the spam message from the archive.
>
> on the web interface of a mailing list, available at
> http://lists.debian.org/<list>/ , you can search for the message and
> "report as spam" it, clicking on the button on upper right.
>
> This can be done by *anyone*, DDs and non, and all are encouraged to
> do so. It's fundamental to have reports: without them we have a false
> sense of spam-free mailing lists, when we all know it's not true.

And if for whatever reason somebody wants to see your list disfunctional,
you open an easy way to do so by implementing a bot that reports every
message as spam.  Do you volunteer to fix such a situation?

> In addition, DDs can *review* all the spam reports (to filter out
> false-positive from real spam messages) so that list masters can
> remove them from the archive. Please, every DD, dedicate 10 minutes
> (hopefully more that just once ;) ) of your time to do that: it's
> boring ok, but will result in a clean archive.
>
> More information can be found here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ListMaster/ListArchiveSpam
> http://lists.debian.org/archive-spam-removals/review/
> http://lists.debian.org/archive-spam-removals/review/stats.html

Sorry, no time to read these.

Thanks
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de