Re: Status of new source formats project

Le Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 04:55:16PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :

> I updated the wiki page listing the status of this project:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0

Bonjour Raphaël,

first of all, thank you for making things progress for the support of a
next-generation source format. In the case of programs distributed as a bzipped
tar archive, it will save us some time, allow to delete a few README.source and
get-orig-source files, and simplifiy our rules files.

But actually, among the programs that are not distributed upstream in a tar.gz
format, we in the Debian Med team have as many zip cases as bzip2. Do you think
that it would be possible to support zip format (i.e. .zip, .jar and .xpi
extensions) for Debian source packages version 3?

I understand that it would require to change a few things in the Dpkg perl
modules, as they assume that the original archives are always using tar. I have
quite poor programming skills, but if you and others do not have time but
nevertheless are interested by such a modification, I can try to work on a
patch (possibly using libarchive-any-perl). In that case, can you tell me what
kind of timeline would fit?

Another question that I would like to ask is on the auto-patching
functionality.  One of the programs we package, EMBOSS, is released once a year
every 15th of July, and other updates are made via patches. Currently it is
possible to just give the patch to quilt to apply it. With the new source
format ‘3.0 (quilt)’, it is not possible. Do you think it would be possible to
change this behavior or at least to disable the auto-patching facilities? It
would be of course easy to convert the patch, but I would really prefer to stay
as identical to upstream's materials as possible.

Have a nice sunday,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,