Re: Orphaning debmirror

Hi Frans:

First of all, thanks very much for stepping up and offering to help
maintain this package! :-)

I should mention I've never used debmirror, and thus don't feel that I
would make for a very competent maintainer of it. Nonetheless, I feel
I'd be remiss if I didn't offer to help out, though I don't want to
overcommit myself to too many things.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Frans Pop<elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> I use debmirror (stable version) and am quite happy with it, so I'm
> willing to take it. However, I'm not a perl expert and cannot promise
> super active maintenance. I can try to at least keep it working though.
Since this is a Perl-based package, and thus something I'm comfortable
working with, I'd be willing to help out with bug fixes, etc. I'll
even help you learn some more Perl (and become a Perl expert)

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I've never used it, so I'm hoping
between the two of us (and the rest of the pkg-perl group) we can
continue maintaining the package well, and maybe even add some useful
features to it.

I have not assessed all the alternative options for doing mirroring of
Debian repositories, but I think having many alternative
implementations is ultimately beneficial to the open source ecosystem
(consider KDE and GNOME, who have, in their competition, made lots of
progress)

> If anybody else wants to take it, feel free. If someone would like to
> co-maintain, that would be welcome too.

I'm part of the pkg-perl group, and I would recommend maintaining this
package with the rest of the group. This ensures that we can get
sponsorship easily (rather than going through mentors), and ensures
that there are multiple people who can apply fixes in the future.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Jonathan