Re: Introduction to multiarch: What maintainers must do

Hi gettext,

while talking about multiarch the issue was raised that

/usr/share/locale/*/*package.mo

is not identical across all architectures as multiarch would require.

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> writes:
>> Steve Langasek, le Wed 29 Jul 2009 19:01:57 +0200, a écrit :
>
>>> the only requirement is that any files shipped there are identical

there == /usr/share/

>>> between packages of the same version for multiple architectures.
>>
>> That's however not true for .mo files, for endianness, typically.
>
> However, you *can* share the same .mo files on each platform, since the
> gettext code copes with endianness issues at runtime if need be.

So we would have to define a default endianness for creating such
files. A patch to gettext to create them allways little endian (or the
other way) seems in order.

Thoughts from the maintainer?

MfG
        Goswin