Re: multiarch: dependency-oriented vs package-oriented

Hi Eugene,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 09:34:42PM +0300, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

> Moreover, this is not the only exception. Thousands of desktop and server
> packages that contains executable binaries (applications) compiled from
> C/C++/Pascal/etc. also have arch-dependent reverse dependencies - packages
> with debug info, '-dbg' ones. So, they are not 'Multi-Arch: foreign' too.

First, why do these packages need to be cross-installed?  If they don't need
to be, then there's no reason to set the Multi-Arch field on them at all.

Second, why does the Multi-Arch: allowed option not implement what you need?

It seems ok to me if Multi-Arch: allowed eventually becomes the dominant use
case.  But there aren't thousands of packages in Debian with "-dbg"
reverse-dependencies, anyway, so this seems to be a complete non-issue in
the short term.