Re: Comments on the "Changing the default system shell" talk

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:47:00PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > You think the average user doesn't care about getting 50% faster boot
> > speeds?
>
>         Now, where do you get the 50% faster speedup? I seem to recall
>  a post on this list which reported much more modest speedups, and
>  pointed to a Debian wiki page which seems to imply average boot time
>  improvements were of the order of 4% or or? I don't have the reference
>  handy, though it was mentioned in a list mail recently. What I did find
>  was:
>     http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Dash
>  ehich says 5%, which seems to be in the same ball park.

i'd expect the speedup to be conservatively somewhere in the ballpark
of 5-15% based on

http://initscripts-ng.alioth.debian.org/soc2006-bootsystem/bootcharts.html

which for etch saw a 4 seconds saving on a 32 second boot time.  i haven't
timed my boots so i'm only guessing that it's probably around the same.

	sean