Re: Comments on the "Changing the default system shell" talk

> On Sun, Jul 26 2009, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>

>> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>>> So the deconf thing is purely a temporary thing and goes away. There
>>> won't be a choice left. Users will just get /bin/sh pointing to dash
>>> period.
>
>> No, /bin/sh is shipped to guarantee a symlink.
>
>         I take this to mean that installaations with /bin/sh -> /bin/bash
>  will not be affected?  That is good, if true.

How could it not be changed? Unless something dpkg-diverts /bin/sh
away from dash (which sort of conflicts with dash possibly
dpkg-diverting it away from bash) then dpkg will overwrite /bin/sh
when it unpacks the new dash. So unless you tell dash not to divert
and then add a dummy diversion of /bin/sh from dash before updating
you will get /bin/sh changed.

Or dash could have preinst code that adds the diversion on itself if
it detects it is being updated from a system that has bash as
/bin/sh. Didn't see a plan for that. If that is planed then be a step
forward.

MfG
        Goswin