Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash without dash essential

On Fri, Jul 24 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:

>> > As long as /bin/sh refuses extensions to posix I agree with you, but
>> > bashism has been a cuss word for years before 2004.
>
>>         Source? Policy does not even ban bashims for maintainer scripts.
>
> Policy 10.4 says:
>
>      If a shell script requires non-SUSv3 features from the shell
>      interpreter other than those listed above, the appropriate shell must
>      be specified in the first line of the script (e.g., `#!/bin/bash') and
>      the package must depend on the package providing the shell (unless the
>      shell package is marked "Essential", as in the case of `bash').

        That is not a ban, is it?

> So bashisms are allowed in maintainer scripts only if they invoke /bin/bash
> as the interpreter.

        Sounds like a recipe to allow using bash scripts.

> Or do you mean something else by "ban", here?

        So, saying that people should use dpkg-shlibs, by invoking it
 just so, is banning dpkg-shlibs? My head spins.

        manoj
--
"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
-Bertrand Russell