Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash without dash essential

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 04:33:21AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> Steve, let's take a step back and calm down.
>
>> Are you saying that your objection to engineering a solution where
>> dash doesn't need to be essential is that it's not worth the effort?
>> I *think* that was the point of your message but am not entirely sure.
>
> Yes, that's definitely my position.  From what I can see, engineering a
> solution where dash doesn't need to be essential isn't worth *any* effort,
> because IMHO, so far the arguments for being able to remove dash from the
> system appear entirely contrived.

What about Manojs argument of having user scripts that (falsely) use
bashism and #!/bin/sh or user accounts with /bin/sh as login shell?

The proposed solution would allow the admin to choose what shell is
/bin/sh and even more so would keep bash as /bin/sh on existing
systems unless as different /bin/sh is specificaly configured.

MfG
        Goswin