Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash (part two)

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 06:04:13PM +0200, Raphael Geissert wrote:

> This is a follow up to my previous thread, with a slightly different
> proposal.

> What actually needs to be done is:
> * Make dash essential, make it divert the current /bin/sh symlink by default,
> make another essential package depend on dash. Prompt the user before
> diverting on interactive upgrades.

Is this latter part actually needed, or do we just need some package in the
required set to depend on it?  Note that, when essential functionality is
being split between packages, the authoritative way to handle upgrades is to
have an existing Essential: yes package *Pre-*Depend on the new package; but
we're not actually splitting any essential functionality in this case, since
bash is still Essential and will still provide all the same functionality.

If we're to have an Essential package depend on dash for upgrades, I suppose
base-files is the obvious choice.