Re: ping for gtk+extra2 removal - implications for libgtkada2 and gpsim

Le lundi 29 juin 2009 à 22:56 +0200, Ludovic Brenta a écrit :
> Right; I realized that while thinking a bit about the issue earlier
> today.  Then I went to gtk.org and it seems that GTK+3 is still many
> months away from release.
>
> Is there a published roadmap for when GTK+2 is removed from Debian?
> Because this is really the crux of the problem; as long as GTK+2 is in
> Debian, it is possible to build gtk+extra2 (be it bundled with
> libgtkada2 or not) against it.

We’ve just managed to remove GTK+ 1.2 not so long ago. Although we’ll
try to remove GTK+ 2.0 faster than that (and it should be easier to do
since large parts of the API will remain compatible), it’s not going to
disappear overnight.

> If you could point me to such a roadmap, I could then try to persuade
> upstream to reimplement some of the GtkAda-specific widgets with GTK+3
> instead of gtk+extra2.  I don't think they'd be willing to invest effort
> without a definitive roadmap, especially for as long as most of their
> customers continue running GTK+2.

This is easy to do by advance. If your library builds with
-DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED
-DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED, it will only require minor changes to work
with GTK+ 3.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :