What exactly replaced base-config

So what exactly replaced base-config

base-config provided a set of useful utilities that could be run AFTER Debian was installed to quickly fix certain aspect of a Debian system or to do quick chrooted post install tasks.

I've been told by some that it had become "replaced by the Debian installer", but in some regard it has been nothing but a huge step back.

1) It provided a much more user friendly way to recover a badly hosed Debian system.
2) It was an excellent tool to run post install tasks after you debootstrapped a linux install to a chroot.

Especially for argument 2, I'm expecting someone to say "just do it by hand", but as of now I don't see any way to run the installer udebs in the bootstrapped chroot, or another method to run post install options "the right way(tm)".