Re: Switching the default /bin/sh to dash

"Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:

> For completeness...
>
> checkbashisms started life as basically a copy of the relevant section
> of checks/scripts and the two then developed separately.
>
> More recently there's been a crossover between devscripts and Lintian
> maintainership (i.e. me) so they've become much more closely synced. I
> tend to apply "obvious" fixes to both and let newer or more FP-prone
> features mature in checkbashisms for a bit before adding them to
> Lintian.

The long-term goal is to turn checkbashisms into some more convenient
sort of shared code that both Lintian and the devscripts check can use.

Currently, Lintian only checks maintainer scripts, so you should use
checkbashisms to check other scripts.  Checking other scripts and
debian/rules files has been on the wish list for quite a while, but as
yet we've not done the necessary work in Lintian.