Re: [Debconf-discuss] GPG keysigning?

Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Very strange logic. BTW AFAIK justice doesn't identify people
> because of ID documents.

It certainly does. Just imagine what will happen if you make yourself
wanted by the authorities and then show your (valid) documents to some
police officers. In case you don't have valid documents, there will be
other ways to check or verify your identity, though.

At least in Germany, even for 'trivial' court cases like traffic
accidents, a valid ID document is required. I would be very surprised if
this is not the case in your country.

> I agree that we should trust and use government ID for identity
> check in Debian, but:
> - it should be one control out of more others
> - stop the FUD. If open source will need to check id document for
>   every developer, open source will die.

Aren't those contradicting? You want more control than simple ID checks
and you want to kill open source?

>   We have higher level of security/trustiness, but please don't
>   destroy the real man, who do the real job: the upstreams.

I don't think that this was the intention of Steve's mail.

Cheers,
Johannes