Configurable debian/control & debian/rules

hi,

  I am reposting a previous post under a different Subject line,
hoping to get more (read: any) feedback.
  I am currently maintaining the gdcm package:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gdcm.html

  Is is written in -somewhat- portable C++ and should build with any
decent C++ compiler. However because a Binary package of gdcm required
vtk (apt-get install libvtk5-dev), I had to list this dependency in
the Source/Build-Depends section.

  My question is simply: how do express that only one Binary package
requires a particular Build-Depends package, but the other remaining
Binary package should be fine ?

  I was thinking that maybe there was a way to configure
debian/control and debian rules files...

Thanks for help,
--
Mathieu