Re: apt-get wrapper for maintaining Partial Mirrors

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 16:16 -0500, Joseph Rawson wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 June 2009 13:14:53 sanket agarwal wrote:
> > I had an idea in mind whereby the task of making mirrors for personal
> > distributions can be automated.

<lazy-way>
Depending on what you want to achieve, a caching proxy might be an easy
solution (there are a specialized in the archive already)
</lazy-way>

> > This can be stated as: if a person
> > wants to keep a customised set of packages for usage with the
> > distribution, the tool should be able to develop dependencies, fetch
> > packages, generate appropriate documentation and then create the
> > corresponding directory structure in the target mirror! The task can
> > be extended to include packages which are currently not under one of
> > the standard mirrors!

<lazy-way>
One don't have to merge the repositories, one can just declare multiple
sources in /etc/apt/*
</lazy-way>

> > I think the tool can have immense utility in helping people automate
> > the task of mantaining the repositories. Suggestions, positive and
> > negative are invited.
> >
> > I have not included the impl details as I would first like to evaluate
> > the idea at a feasibility and utility level.

If the scope of your project includes being able to bootstrap systems
from the mirror, resolving dependency is much more complex (some
packages aren't resolved by dependencies. For instance, the right kernel
is select by some logic in Debian-installer).
I found some interesting logic in debian-cd package.

Still, I don't consider that allowing bootstrapping is mandatory. Your
project would still be extremely valuable without it. [for those 95% of
the people that install from CD, as opposed to netboot].

Regards,

Franklin