default gfortran in debian

[I posted this on debian-gcc before. I have not gotten any reply there. So I
am trying my luck here]

Currently the default gfortran in Debian Sid points to 4:4.3.3-9 . The
gfortran-4.4 is already available, quite stable. Is there any reason why
gfortran 4.4 not the default?

The reason is that the gfortran's upstream does not backport the patches to
older versions. They only fix bugs in the latest versions (for ex:-
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2009-06/msg00116.html ) So, it is always
better to have the default gfortran point to the latest released version.

Is there anyway I can possibly help to make this transition?

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi