Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 21:37 +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 11782 March 1977, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > This is a proposal to formalize a set of meta-information
> > to be embedded in patches applied to Debian packages. Most
> > patch systems allow for a free-from description preceeding
> > the content of the patch and the plan is to make use of that
> > space to embed some structured content.
>
> It does sound a *little* overengineered for no good reason. (IMO).
>
> How about starting to do that for your own packages and see how it works
> out. If it turns out to be great people will join and it will spread and
> at some point be something we could even enforce. Would also give this a
> little practice test to see if what you want from people is worth the
> work/trouble dealing with it.

We have been using something very similar to this in parts of Ubuntu
for a while now (the wiki page on it is referenced in the DEP).

I for one find it to be very useful and wish that it was more
widespread. Yes, there can be a few fields for each patch, but you
generally have the relevant links to hand when you are adding a patch
anyway.

There is growing use of the tags within Ubuntu, so there are obviously
others that agree that it is useful.

Whether Debian Developers wish to use it is obviously up to them, but
I would think that this is one case where standardisation is very
useful, even if it is the cart leading the horse to some extent.

I need to re-read the DEP; I may have some suggestions about the
content, but I agree whole-heartedly with the intent. I will also
talk to people from other distributions about adopting the same
fields.

Thanks,

James