Re: Let’s turn DEP5 into something useful

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:52:36 +0200
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

... the first positive contribution to DEP5 that I've seen in months -
but then I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the bike-shedding.

> currently, DEP5 is not, contrary to what the name says, about a
> “machine-readable debian/copyright”. It is about providing a much
> broader amount of licensing information on our source packages.

> The real problem with DEP5 is not the format (which is not worse for a
> small package than the current one), it is with the unrealistic amount
> of information that it requires to fill and maintain.
>
> So, how about dropping entirely anything that’s related to files and
> only keep the amount of information we are requiring now?  I feel sorry
> for the giant bikeshedding thread about spaces and commas, but it is not
> getting us anywhere.
>

> Source: foo
> Authors: John Doe
>          Jane Toe
> # Some comment
> Copyright: © 2008 John Doe
>            © 2009 Initrode, Inc.
> # Actually I don’t think we should include detailed copyright
> # information, but that’s another story.

If we can get a list of licences that do and do not require detailed
copyright breakdowns in the binary packages, this would be solvable.
Are we still waiting for confirmation on that?

> License: GPL-2+
>    License blurb.
>
> Some comments about the GPL applying to the binaries, the libraries
> being MPL.
>
> License: MPL
>    MPL text.
>

> It doesn’t look like too much work to switch an existing file to this
> format, it could even be partly automated.
> It is still human-readable.
> It could reasonably be made mandatory after some time.
> It brings grossly the same advantages as the current DEP5 proposal.
> It doesn’t cause any problems with commas, spaces or other characters
> that can appear in filenames.

This looks ideal because it is a simple structure to be overlaid on
existing file layouts.

It is loose enough that it can reasonably apply to all packages and it
can be a write-once-and-forget debian/copyright file, just as with the
current one.

Requiring any details of precisely which files are affected makes the
whole thing impossible because that requires some form of mass-update
(or at least mass check of individual files) at every upstream release.
Let's just drop the whole idea for Files: - if some packages find it
useful, then the Files: field can be optional but it cannot be sensible
to mandate it for large upstream teams.

--

Neil Williams