Re: DEP-5: Please clarify the meaning of "same licence and share copyright holders"

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:57:46PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> writes:
> > Does Debian only care about listing copyright holders, as opposed to
> > reproducing legally meaningful copyright statements? If so, why not
> > just list names here, excluding the word "Copyright" and excluding the
> > years.
>
> Because we have to comply with licenses that say that we need to
> reproduce the copyright notice.

Don't we satisfy that requirement simply by packaging the source files?

Why would this file require additional reproduction?

I'm guessing it has something to do with binary packages, but I just want to
make sure. Of particular interest is the fact that most times when we are
required to reproduce the copyright statement, we are required to do so
verbatim; and hence this does not satisfy that.

Best,