Re: Naming convention for Java gluelib ?

On Mon Jun 08 18:12, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   I could find the naming convention for C# binding:
>
> http://pkg-mono.alioth.debian.org/cli-policy/ch-packaging.html#s-gac-naming-versioning
>
>   I am now looking for a similar page for a library that would be
> wrapped in Java. What would be the convention for a foo.jar requiring
> a gluelib lib<insert proper name>.so ?

Hi, this is one of the things I'd like to review at debconf this year
since I think this whole area needs reviewing.
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/ exists, which
says:

   "If a Java library relies on native code, the dynamic libraries
   containing this compiled native code should be installed into the
   directory /usr/lib/jni. These dynamic libraries should be shipped in
   a separate architecture-specific package named libXXX[version]-jni.
   The package containing the Java bytecode (generally
   libXXX[version]-java) should depend on this package."

which doesn't say much about file naming. A quick sample of the archive
shows at least:

   libfoo-java.so, libjfoo.so, libfoojni-fullversion.so

so, at the moment there's not really a standard. I've CC'd debian-java
in case anyone there isn't reading debian-devel.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson