Re: New "libc" project libposix

 A comparison between libposix and other "libc" implementations is available at:

 http://libposix.sourceforge.net/COMPARE

 Newlib would be equivalent to eglibc and uclibc in the table. More specifically, newlib has embedded systems as main targets, while libposix targets general purpose computers. This has certain architecture implications, for example, libposix won't run on (restricted) embedded systems if they can't fully support the POSIX standard (this is regarded as a good thing because the users of libposix will have permanent guarantees about the system functionality). Also, libposix aims to strictly conform to exactly one standard (POSIX 2008). Newlib supports multiple standards (also, standards are supported on a per function basis, not as a goal for the project as a whole) and extensions. Finally, we hope to have exactly one GPL compatible non-copyleft license for the whole project, since the goal is the adoption by every Unix vendor (including commercial companies which may worry about licensing). That's also different from newlib, which has multiple licenses and some LGPL parts.

2009/6/7 Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org>
Henrique Almeida, le Sun 07 Jun 2009 10:33:28 -0300, a écrit :
>  I know debian has just switched it's libc implementation, but I've
> created a project that will hopefully lead core Unix functionality
> into a new direction.

What's the difference with newlib's libc?

Samuel