Re: debian and lilypond 2.12

Il giorno Sun, 07 Jun 2009 15:59:55 +0200
Gilles Filippini <gilles.filippini@free.fr> ha scritto:

> It appears that lilypond is actively maintained in ubuntu[1].
> I'd like to take over this package in Debian but I don't know about
> the practices when a package is already maintained in Ubuntu:
> * should I start from the Ubuntu source package?

You could do it if you plan to include Ubuntu changes in Debian. If you
decide to package it from scratch, Ubuntu will merge your package
applying Ubuntu adjustments on top of it until there is need to.

> * the Ubuntu lilypond release is now 2.12.1-0ubuntu1; what should be
> the debian release then? 2.12.1-1?

Yes.

> * or simply persuade the ubuntu maintainer to package it for Debian ;)
> (cc-ing him)?

Ubuntu usually haven't designed maintainers, think of it as a global QA
effort to have package in shape. If you want, you can contact the last
person who touched it to see if he has interest in maintaining it, but
it is usually not the case.

--
 . ''`.      Luca Falavigna
 : :'  :  Ubuntu MOTU Developer