Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

On Sunday 07 June 2009 02:16:41 you wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 00:44 -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
> > The current proposal for DEP 5 has this snippet for the 'Files' field.
> >
> > "List of space-separated globbing pathnames (see man 7 glob for more
> > details) indicating files that have the same licence and share copyright
> > holders."
> >
> > This doesn't take into account files or directories that may be named
> > with spaces.
> >
> > I suggest that the Files field use a comma-separated list of globbing
> > pathnames instead, else something ugly like 'path/with some spaces/'*
> > would have to be used.
>
> That just trades ' ' for ',' as the path not usable.
>
> I suggest just shell unescaping before globbing.
>
> foo\ bar baz
> ->
> 'foo bar' and 'baz'.
>
> -Rob

I would still prefer to use a comma-seperated list instead of a space-seperated
list as using spaces in directories/files is more common (and AFAIK, using commas
is less common). The shell escaping could instead be used for the commas if
necessary.

--
Regards,
Andres