Re: stopped daemons starting again during upgrade

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 13:40 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently did an upgrade from lenny to squeeze. I did it in single
> user mode / runlevel 1 (with all the daemons stopped). I noted that
> during the upgrade various daemons were started again. IMO it is
> reasonable to expect that stopped daemons stay stopped during an
> upgrade, expecially in runlevel 1. Does anyone else agree? Is this a
> bug in each of the packages with a daemon or in the init system?

invoke-rc.d should do the right thing in this case.  If the package is
not using invoke-rc.d to restart daemons that's a bug in the package.
If invoke-rc.d is not leaving daemons alone in run-level 1 that's a bug
in it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Logic doesn't apply to the real world. - Marvin Minsky